Caring For Your Vintage
Looking after your vintage clothing and keeping it looking as fresh as possible takes a bit of time and effort, but it's definitely worth it to keep your pieces looking and feeling as fresh and fabulous as possible.
Follow some of our hints and tips to help keep on top of it:
- Keep your Toxic Togs away from sunlight, the rays will take the colour out, AARRGGHH.
- Be careful when wearing any moisturiser, skin/hair oil or tan as this can be transferred from you to your togs and it’s tough to get out.
- Sprays and perfumes can also manipulate the colour and even tarnish metal closures such as poppers and buttons.
- Vintage clothing should be hung up after you’ve worn it so that it can air out, get it off the floor-drobe and bang it in the wardrobe. When stored, protect the outer part of your togs by popping them inside out, or if you have extra special pieces that are worn on rare occasions, an acid free breathable fabric cover is a good option that can be easily bought online.
- If you've missed your mouth 💋💄 (Yep, we've all done it!) and you've made a stain, don't rush straight to casualty, always do a patch test in a hidden area (an inside seam is a good place)
Can you chuck it in the machine🧼?
Vintage items are delicate and washing them incorrectly can do a lot of damage. Not all fabrics can be washed in the machine, so find out what kind your vintage item is (we always try to put this in the description online). Before washing the entire piece, you can always give it a go with a good old spot clean to get the minor stains out.
These fabrics can usually be machine washed:
Hand-wash only are:
- Plastics (PVC oooo sexy)
Use a Non-Bio detergent, we’ve found this is detergent with the least amount of chemicals and that can clean well at a low temp such as 30 degrees.
Drying your Toxic Togs 🧺
If you have a dryer, please, we beg of you, don’t be tempted to put vintage in the dryer, it will cause shrinkage and colour-loss plus better on the environment if you line dry (now that’s what we’re talkin’ ‘bout!)
Some bits are better drying flat after cleaning i.e Your Toxic woolly knits but like anything just check the labels.
Hope that's helped, but if you have any questions about specific Toxic Togs you've bought from us, either contact us via our online chat or alternatively you can send us a message here xx